Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Prowl (2010)

"She was running from her life, now she's running for it."












Synopsis: Amber dreams of escaping her small town existence and persuades her friends to accompany her to find an apartment in the big city. When their transportation breaks down, she and her friends gratefully accept a ride in the back of a semi. But when the driver refuses to stop and they discover the cargo is hundreds of cartons of blood, they panic. Their panic turns to terror when the truck disgorges them into a dark, abandoned warehouse where blood-thirsty creatures learn to hunt human prey, which, the friends realize, is what they now are...

My Thoughts: I'm not the biggest fan of the vampire genre, especially all that True Blood/Twilight stuff. I prefer when they use the "30 Days of Night" psycho vampires. After watching the trailer, I knew this one fell into that category, making it the one After Dark Originals movie that I was looking forward to.

The concept was a nice twist on the normal vampire film, so it's a shame that was all wasted by such bad direction. I'm sure it's a just case of inexperience, but what a mess. The pacing was awful and when you add in the terrible camerawork with the sub-par acting, well you see where this is going.

I don't want to get too into the story, since the less you know going into it the better (hint: it's gotta twist ending. a terrible twist ending, but a twist ending none-the-less). What I will tell you is that a lot of the things we horror fans look for in our indy horror flicks just aren't here. The gore was way too implied. They would either cut away or use the shaky camera trick. The creature make-up was awful (see the picture below for proof of that). The characters were completely lame. I couldn't really give a damn about the main character. The asshole of the group wasn't big enough of an asshole. The promiscuous friend wasn't big enough of a whore. On top of that, there was no nudity whatsoever. Not that we're missing much. I mean, I wouldn't exactly call it an ugly cast, but they could have probably used an upgrade or at least cleaned them up a little.

I have to believe this movie had a really low budget, which makes me wonder what it could have been with an experienced director, some better actors and a little more cash.



My Rating4.5 / 10





I think After Dark making their own movies might have been a bad idea, though this is probably the best of the 3 that I've seen from this year's crop.

Not a bad rental, just don't expect much.

"click here to see the trailer"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...