Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Book Review: Creature Features (2000)

written by John Stanley












Description: The Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Movie Guide. The Ultimate Source of Intense Entertainment.

From Hammer horror to fluffy fantasy, from Tobe's chainsaws to Max's mad stunts, Creature Features presents critical and humorous reviews of science fiction, fantasy and horror films from every medium - features TV (network, syndicated, cable), and straight-to-video - like you've never seen before. Foreign films. Animated films. Silent films. Films you love. Films you hate. Films you forgot about. Films you didn't know about. Films that matter and films that splatter. Creature Features has all this and more:

- Thousands of capsulized reviews
- A five-star rating system
- Hundreds of obscure and rare titles
- Video and laserdisc distribution information (including mail-order)
- Cross-references to secondary titles, sequels, and tricky retitlings

My Thoughts: This is by far the best reference book that I've found for horror flicks. I know that's not saying much because it doesn't really have much competition, but Creature Features is a must-have for any horror fan. It's got tons of reviews. Most of them I completely disagree with, but that's just another reason why this book's so great. I sometimes find myself telling it to go fuck itself.

It was released over 10 years ago (in 2000) in the early days of dvd and before vhs was completely written-off, so it includes most of the early 80's forgotten classics and those lost mid-90's straight-to-video releases that will probably never be released on dvd. It's also got all of the classics goin' all the way back to the silent movie days.

I don't know how many times that I've cracked this book open and found a movie that I've totally forgot about or never even heard of, like Sawbones (the Roger Corman, Dr. Giggles rip-off from 1995). I went right to eBay and picked it up on vhs for under 3 bucks. I love this fuckin' book!

My Rating: 9 / 10

Do yourself a favor, get on amazon.com or eBay and pick up a copy. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...