Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Deranged (1974)

a.k.a. Deranged: Confessions of a Necrophile
"Pretty Sally Mae died a very unnatural death! ... But the worst hasn't happened to her yet!"












Synopsis: A man living in rural Wisconsin takes care of his bed-ridden mother, who is very domineering and teaches him that all women are evil. After she dies he misses her, so a year later he digs her up and takes her home. He learns about taxidermy and begins robbing graves to get materials to patch her up, and inevitably begins looking for fresher sources of materials. Based closely on the true story of Ed Gein.

My Thoughts: One great thing I find about horror (more so than in other genres) is when you throw on a movie, no matter what your expectations are about it going in, there's always a chance that you'll find a true hidden gem. That being said, I still can't believe that this movie has eluded me all these years. I blame the horror movie review sites for not giving this film it's just due. You bastards! I won't be making that mistake.

I gotta say, this movie would be nothing without the performance of Roberts Blossom, who played Ezra Cobb. I couldn't remember where I'd seen him from so i looked him up. He was the old man at the beginning of "Christine" that sold Arnie the car. Anyway, he's fuckin' weird and extremely creepy ...and oh, did I mention completely insane? Blossom's so believable in this role and I think it's a shame that more horror fans don't talk this one up.

You would think that this movie would get some notoriety because of it being Tom Savini's first job as a make-up artist. Savini and his crew did a great job (considering how long ago this was made), especially on the corpses. They really helped add to the eerie mood of the film. It's a great start to his legendary career.


My Rating: 8.5 / 10






This is a must-own, especially for fans of the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". You can pick up the Midnite Movies double feature DVD from MGM on amazon.com for under $7. A great deal considering that you'll also get "Motel Hell" on the flip-side.

"click here to see the trailer"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...