Friday, April 8, 2011

Insidious (2010)

"It's not the house that's haunted"












Synopsis: The Lambert's move into an old house and begin to suspect they are under siege from otherworldly forces when their young son inexplicably falls into a deep coma. As devoted parents Josh (Patrick Wilson) and Renai (Rose Byrne) struggle in vain to uncover the root cause of their son's condition, the stress of the situation gradually begins to take its toll on their once-strong relationship. Later, when darkness falls and specters appear to reach out for them from the shadows, the frightened parents realize they're dealing with powers beyond human comprehension.

My Thoughts: Before last night I couldn't remember the last time that a horror movie actually scared me. Thanks to Insidious, now I can.

This incredible ghost story from the creators of the Saw series, James Wan and Leigh Whannell, is without a doubt the most surprising film of 2011. For some reason my expectations were really low for this movie, even though I did hear some pretty good reviews. C'mon let's be honest, the quality of PG-13 horror flicks over the last 10 years or so has made us all a little gun shy. Going in to Drag Me To Hell my hopes were high because of Sam Raimi (obviously), but a PG-13 movie from the director of Saw ...not so much. Well, when you're wrong you're wrong.

Whannell's writing along with Wan's direction keep you on edge for almost the entire film. The story starts a bit slow, but that could have been done purposely in order to catch the audience a little more off guard when the crazy shit started to go down. I can't remember another movie where jump scares were used as effectively or as often.

I think it would be a shame if they ruined this with a series of shitty sequels, but I do hope they team up again for another ghost story. The horror world could really use it.



My Rating: 9 / 10





Just make sure you get to see this one before it leaves the theater. I'm gonna try to catch it on the big screen one more time, just to see if it has any rewatch value.

...oh, and the "Tip-Toe Through the Tulips" song was a nice touch.

"click here to see the trailer"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...